Saturday, June 15, 2013

First post: who I am; what I'm about.

This blog will be my attempt to think through the Buddha's ocean of Dhamma. To understand important terms and ideas. Sometimes I'll interact with others posts if I feel it's necessary for correction or good for inducing discussion or thought.

I'll admit I'm not a monk, but I've always liked Suamana's verses from the Theragatha.

"The novice Sumana...wants no-one to know him."

The reason for this is simple and laid out in Anguttara Nikaya 3.40, "It is not for the sake of robes that I have gone forth from the home life into homelessness; it is not for the sake of almsfood, for the sake of lodgings, or for the sake of this or that state of [future] becoming that I have gone forth from the home life into homelessness. Simply that I am beset by birth, aging, & death; by sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs; beset by stress, overcome with stress, [and I hope,] "Perhaps the end of this entire mass of suffering & stress might be known!"

It's my hope that all reading and coming to this blog will come a bit closer to their own enlightenment.

May all beings be happy and free from suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment