Monday, October 7, 2013

Worry.

Now and then, when something goes wrong in my life, it is not unusual for me to become agitated. This seems like a natural reaction to me: the uncertainty of the situation is a scary unknown. The washer having a loose belt and smoking could be one of those "I can fix myself things" or it might be "spend the money I had just saved" thing. It could be a "this will set the house on fire" thing. The last one is an extreme example, but is nonetheless a possibility.

It also seems like a natural reaction to remind myself not to worry. Bad things can happen, but that's no reason to act as if they already have. Fear is no state in which to live one's life (Dhp 188, MN 4). Kamma is what it is, and no matter what, I can keep making good kamma in the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment