Thursday, November 21, 2013

Animals and Kamma.

My girlfriend the other day read an article to me that scientists recently presented their conclusion that animals are conscious beings. This seemed strange to me (and I'm not the only one apparently) as even before taking refuge, the fact that animals are conscious seemed obvious to me. Forget accusations of anthropomorphizing, it could be observed without any sort of conceptual imputation.

So here, I must admit, I greatly enjoy the role that animals play in the Canon. Whether providing grounds for a simile (MN 22), or being the impetus for a paritta (AN 4.67), animals aren't just there when it's convenient.

When discussions of kamma come up in the Pali Canon, it is usually about what sorts of things leads to what sorts of rebirth. Among the realms that humans have immediate sensory access to is the realm of animals. Worth mentioning here is that in the Jataka, the Buddha is reborn as an animal many times, frequently encouraging the best from others. Worth noting to me is that even in states of deprivation, one can make good kamma.

The Sasa-Jataka (no 316) is here very instructive for just such a reason. While known for being an explanation for why there is the shape of a hare in the moon, I think that misses the point. This tale re-appears in the Cariya-pitaka, the final book of the sutta pitaka as the penultimate achievement of the perfection of giving. The hare gives his life so that an ascetic can eat on a day offerings.

Even when he was in a state of woe, the Blessed One was still able to do good. How much more can we do as humans? Of course animals are conscious. All it takes to recognize it is another consciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment